Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sandra Day O' Connor

Sonia Sotomayor fear of conservatives for his 2001 speech saying that gender and race will unavoidably power their assessment and jurisprudence. But Guess who said incredible similar? Moderate conservative Sandra Day O'Connor, who was chosen to the Supreme Court of Ronald Reagan in 1981.

O'Connor said that the water in the yard of a woman during the interview with Women Home Journal soon after she was selected. While O'Connor also said that other factors affecting its judging more than his gender, it obviously states that this is a factor. Here's how the Associated Press reported comments in March 1982 (in Nexis):

The first woman in open court a desire to play this role to some extent. "I think that until the court differences in background, which are better suited than my sex," she said.

"My experience as a legislator gives me a different perspective. Also, I submit to the court in respect of women, particularly in the sense that I am a woman, just as I am white, college graduate, etc.”

"Yes, I will bring the understanding of a woman to court, but doubt that alone will affect my decision," she says. "I think the important thing about my appointment is not that I will decide cases as a woman, but I am a woman who will decide cases."

In another case, O'Connor recommended the same race also affect one's judging. After the departure of the legendary Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, O'Connor said positively that Marshall not only gave his legal insight but also his life experiences to the counter. This is certainly partly a reference to the Marshall race.

To be clear, O'Connor feelings are not the same like Sotomayor years. O'Connor is known downplaying their gender may have. But O'Connor also said that an effort to inform its work and Sotomayor main point, though not artfully expressed, was that gender and race will inevitably affect the judging.

As O'Connor information indicates this is not opposing, and even a new thing for Supreme Court justice - or would-be one - to say.

0 comments: